- Pontifical Catholic University of Ecuador
- Internal Medicine – UT Health San Antonio
- Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine – UT Health San Antonio
- Internal Medicine August 2018
- Outstanding student fellow – 2009
- Best Poster Presentation Award – 2017
- Successful management of fibrosing mediastinitis with severe vascular compromise: Report of two cases and literature review. Argueta F, Villafuerte D, Castaneda-Nerio J, Peters J, Restrepo C. 2019 Dec 14;29:100987. doi: 10.1016/j.rmcr.2019.100987
- Prevalence and risk factors for Enterobacteriaceae in patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. Villafuerte D, Aliberti S, Soni NJ, Faverio P, Marcos PJ, Wunderink RG, Rodriguez A, Sibila O, Sanz F, Martin-Loeches I, Menzella F, Reyes LF, Jankovic M, Spielmanns M, Restrepo MI; GLIMP Investigators. 2019 Aug 5. doi: 10.1111/resp.13663.
Research/Presentation (few of numerous):
- Prevalence and Risk factors for Enterobacteriaceae (EB) and Multidrug resistant EB in patients with Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Villafuerte D, et al.
- Think Twice: A Case of Lung Adenocarcinoma Mimicking Interstitial Lung Disease. Villafuerte D, et al.
- Anaerobic coverage is not needed in patients with chronic aspiration hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. Restrepo M, Villafuerte D, et al.
During his free time Dr. Villafuerte enjoys traveling, running, cooking, and loves watching professional sports (soccer, basketball, tennis, and cycling events).